Thoughts on the world and my world

Monday, October 10, 2005

Thanksgiving

Today marks the celebration of Thanksgiving in Canada. It is always good to pause, and focus, on the things that we appreciate - not the things we feel we need. Our consumerist society plucks the hearstrings of desire every way we look-whether on TV, the internet, or magazines. We are told, again and again that we need the new car, the new house, the new clothes, the new self. I am glad for one day where we can formally say "hey-we have more than enough".

There is an author who has proposed that we need to practice "learned thankfulness". And in a culture of dis-thankfulness, I agree. Funny, the happiest people most of us know have learned to be happy in the simple ways, and to be thankful for the small things.

May that be me today.

I am truly blessed, and my heart overflows with thankfulness for my wife, Spencer, Ryan, my parents and family and friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Strangely aweful...i mean terrible!