Thoughts on the world and my world

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Randon thoughts on holidays and SAAB's


We are off to Newport, Rhode Island and Maine next week. I am looking forward to a week off with Sandra, Spencer and Ryan. We had a fabulous time a few weeks back on a short jaunt to Newport and are looking forward to a longer visit this time. The picture here is one from our last trip.

Cars- a necessary evil

We continue to weigh the decision to get a new car versus hanging onto our two old ones (1994 SAAB 900S turbo and 1997 SAAB 9000CSE). Recently we have test driven a few cars (Acura, Infiniti, BMW, etc). and are concluding that few (perhaps BMW) have the feel of the old SAAB’s. In fact, I test drove a 2002 SAAB 9-5 two days ago and was thoroughly disappointed with the car. The road feel and solidness was inadequate. Many drivers of old SAAB’s are saying that you need to move to Audi or BMW to get a similar feel as some of the older generation SAABs. Based on my test drives of the new series 3 and 5 from BMW I have to say I concur.

On the topic of new versus used cars, there comes a point where the cost to keep the older vehicles running forces one to give in and get something newer. I will say that we will probably have spent $6,000 in the last 12 months on the 2 cars – but then again, this is for the basics like mufflers, brakes and tires that will be good for 2-4 years. Doing the math I am still better off than paying $800-1,000 per month for two car payments.

I am concluding that we need to wait a few more months – probably until Spring 2006 and revisit the issue based on a range of factors.

No comments: